Monday, May 18, 2020

Windy Hill

DATE: Monday, May 18, 2020
DISTANCE: 17.28km / 10.74 miles
ELEVATION GAIN: 559m / 1834 ft.
TIME: 4:00
SUMMIT: Windy Hill: 588m / 1930 ft.
WINDY HILL REGIONAL PRESERVE
SAN MATEO COUNTY, CA
SOUNDTRACK: R.I.P.: In The Wind Pt. I


PHOTO ALBUM
MAP

 

 

 

 








Windy Hill stands out along the ridgeline of the coastal hills of the San Francisco peninsula as one of the few unforested spots. It’s pretty much directly southwest of the Stanford University campus. Easily ascended via Skyline Boulevard (Highway 35), or you can hike up from the bottom via Portola Road in Portola Valley.

It was my turn to visit San Jose (it usually is), so the ball was in Amber’s court to pick out a hiking activity. We had noticed Windy Hill a few weeks earlier, driving past it, so it came to pass that we returned to give it a go. Amber brought her friend Korrine, we parked in the main parking lot, masked up, took some shots of whiskey, and powered up Windy Hill, which lived up to it’s name. The day was cool, especially on the exposed windy hilltop, and the sky was partially filled with billowing clouds. From the top of the hill, there was a panoramic view across the South Bay, and even over to Mount Diablo. With the ladies, i completed the quick loop around Windy Hill, and back to the parking lot. Amber took Korrine home, and left me to my own devices for about three hours.

From the parking lot, I began my next adventure by heading south on the Lost Trail, which went immediately through a gate, and into some rather thick vegetation on both sides of the trail. A sudden contrast to the windswept grasses I’d just left behind. Lost Trail curved along the hillside, roughly parallel to, but out of sight of Highway 35. I was quite impressed by the variety and thickness of plants, and the moss that decorated the trees. A lot of moisture from the Pacific Ocean must pour over the hill in this particular area. There was by now a good view back up at Windy Hill from along the trail, Before too long, I reached the intersection with the Hamm’s Gulch Trail. I regret to inform you there was no Hamm’s Beer available. At this point, the route began winding and switchbacking it’s way downhill, and the trees grew thicker and mossier. Quite spectacular, actually. Into the gulch!

I was mostly in the woods, but there were a few glimpses out, even another sighting of Mount Diablo. At the bottom of the hill, I came to a crossroad, but I remained on Hamm’s Gulch Trail, and soon crossed a shady creek. Reaching now the eastern extremity of my journey, I joined the Meadow Trail and turned north, then east, suddenly the landscape changed again, to rolling oak studded fields. Meadow Trail soon put me onto Spring Ridge Trail, and from there it was gentle but steady uphill on a fire road, back up to the ridge and Windy. I was able to have a look back over at the forested area from whence I had just descended. Spring Ridge Trail mostly keeps to the open, but ducks into the occasional oak grove now and then. Majestic clouds blew in from the coast, trying to penetrate the interior of the land. Before I knew it, I was back up by Windy Hill. I didn’t return to the top, but circled around the west side next to the road. I had overestimated the time it would take me to do the loop hike, the internet had provided inaccurate mileage or something. I still had about an hour until I was due to be picked up, so I started hiking down the Lost Trail again.

This time, I kept going past the Hamm’s Gulch turnoff, and continued through the splendid vegetated forest. I was hoping to find a shortcut to get up to the highway, and make another loop out of that, but I couldn’t, and I had to turn around, going almost all the way back to Hamm’s Trail again, but turning southwest on a fire road that took me up to the highway, but in a very roundabout manner. I walked north along Highway 35, just to see something different, but of course, it sucked. Either having to walk in the tall grass, or right by the side of the road, getting buzzed by Teslas. All of my blundering about in the final hour explains my path, if you are trying to interpret my course on the map. All this fuckery also made me late for my pickup rendezvous time, and I was scolded sternly, being sent to bed without any beer that night.

FURTHER READING
•BA Hiker: Good descriptions and photos
•Alltrails: This is pretty much what I did, except I started at the top
•Long Green Tunnel: Another one from the bottom



No comments:

Post a Comment