Sunday, March 8, 2020

Whale Peak

DATE: Sunday, March 8, 2020
DISTANCE: negligible
ELEVATION GAIN: 120 ft. ?
TIME TAKEN: 15 minutes
SUMMIT: 300 ft. (+-)
GARRAPATA STATE PARK
MONTEREY COUNTY, CA

PHOTO ALBUM
MAP













...Continued

I was angling to somehow stay in Big Sur for the day and go up Manuel Peak, because the clouds had finally cleared, but Amber had to go home, and I couldn't find anyone else who was sticking around who could give me a ride back to civilization later. Hopefully I will return soon… Big Sur just gets more captivating every time. It's big, it's wild, it's deep, it's mysterious...

Looking north up the coast

Driving back up Highway 1, I begged Amber to pull over for a few minutes to so I could climb a minor named hill called Whale Peak. The fiend must be satisfied! She stayed in the van, while I took about 15 minutes to scale the pleasant coastal mound. A fine trail with stairs in some parts led to the top which contained a minor south summit, and the higher north summit. The views, as to be expected, were spectacular, not much to complain about in this part of the world. I was back to the parking lot before I was even missed.

FURTHER READING
•Hiking Project: Map and stats about the trail
•Bob Burd: Whale Peak and Clear Ridge

No comments:

Post a Comment