Saturday, May 23, 2020

Pleasanton Ridge

DATE: Saturday, May 23, 2020
DISTANCE: 16.35km /  10.16 miles
ELEVATION GAIN: 579m / 1898 ft.
TIME TAKEN: 4:18
SUMMIT: Pleasanton Ridge High Point: 1,629 ft.
PLEASANTON RIDGE REGIONAL PARK
ALAMEDA COUNTY, CA

SOUNDTRACK: Ramones: Pleasant Dreams


PHOTO ALBUM
MAP









A few days prior to this, I had considered my 16 mile outing in the hinterlands of Mount Diablo to be my last hike of the season in the East Bay Hills, which were increasingly getting warmer and drier. It was time to focus some attention on the Sierra Nevada now!  But out of the blue, an old friend hit me up to go on a hike in Sunol Regional Wilderness. In spite of the fact that it was a pretty hot day, we weren’t getting an early start, and  it was also a Saturday (I usually avoid going out on the weekends at any cost, since I can pretty much hike any day I choose, unemployment has it’s benefits!), I readily agreed to meet up with Bryce so I could catch up with the old buddy and talk music, life, etc.

I tried to meet Bryce at the Sunol parking lot, at the appointed time, but even before I got there, I knew this would be a no go. Even Welsh Creek Road, on the approach, was jammed with cars, trying to turn around and get out, not one parking space in sight. When I got to the gate of Sunol, there was a prominent sign reading “Parking Lot Full,” and I believed it. Just then, I saw Bryce driving out, and he kind of shrugged. We pulled over at a turnout together, back down the road, to consult,  and I suggested Pleasanton Ridge instead. I had never been there before, but it was on my local hit list. This turned out to be a good choice, as we pulled into the Foothill Staging Area, we saw the parking lot was not even half full. Not bad for a beautiful Saturday in late May.

We took off uphill, on a meandering course that began with the Woodland Trail. No particular goal in mind, but I was angling to get to the high point of the ridge if possible. It was typical California rolling hill country, turning from green to brown at this time of year, cowshit country, the beasts were about. But there was a nice breeze and some especially majestic oaks. It wasn’t long before a view opened up to south to Maguire Peaks and Mission Peak. We turned north, and cruised the ridgetop. To our left, the higher, but privately owned,  Sunol Ridge beckoned for some future trespassing. Most of the park seems to be double trails, a ranch/fire road and a complimentary single track trail (or trails) that go alongside it, or weave around near it. We used both of these options alternately as they suited us.

Continuing north on the Thermalito Trail eventually joined us up with the Ridgeline Trail, on which also continued north, through the area which temporarily becomes Augustine Bernal City Of Pleasanton Park. Once through the enclave, you are back in PRRP. Much to my delight, the high point of the the Pleasanton Ridge formation was found, almost by accident. But then verified by smartphone of course. There was a bench, a water tank, and a ton of ducks for some reason. Also, what are these strange little monuments? We took a different was back to the parking lot, creating a sort of grand loop out of the  Ridgeline, Meadow and Sycamore Grove trails. A nice afternoon outside. And bear in mind, friends out there, if you ask me to go for a hike with you, I probably won’t say no. Unless I am already on a hike.

FURTHER READING
BA Hiker: Some general info in PRRP
Redwood Hikes: Big pictures and a little info
Bob Burd: Bob visit the Pleasanton Ridge highpoint



No comments:

Post a Comment