Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Mount Umhunum

DATE: Tuesday, December 4, 2018
DISTANCE: 7.7 miles
ELEVATION GAIN: 1,187 ft.
SUMMIT: 3,488
SIERRA AZUL OPEN SPACE PRESERVE

SANTA CLARA COUNTY, CA









For years, I wondered what was the deal with the mountain just South of San Jose that had the weird cube on top. I found out it was called Mount Umunhum, and that it was a dis-used military radar station, off limits to the public. Supposedly, it was still accessible by trespassing across private property, and legends abounded of shotgun wielding neighbors and albino cannibals in the area. Before I had the opportunity to experience any of these dangers, however, the summit opened to the public on September 18, 2017. I would not have to sneak to reach the top,  and I chose to traverse the new 7.7 mile round trip trail on December 4, 2018.














































CLICK "READ MORE" TO SEE ADDITIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY

































Dude, where's my car?

No comments:

Post a Comment